Linguine and Zucchini can be a simple, meatless dinner that is on the table in 30 minutes or less or the perfect side to serve with simple grilled meat.
Linguine and Zucchini
What's for dinner?
It's a question I love, and hate. Some days it just feels like I've already cooked everything there is and am out of ideas. At least, temporarily. Then I go to the pantry or the garden, or in this case both, and come up with an easy tasty satisfying meal.
This recipe for Linguine and Zucchini can be a simple meatless meal or the perfect accompaniment to a simple grilled protein such as chicken or fish. Use a mandolin, spiralizer, or a julienne peeler to create fresh zucchini spaghetti; toss with some cooked linguine; add chopped marinated artichokes, along with a touch of lemon juice and cream, and you have a delicious meatless dinner in less than 30 minutes.
serve as a side, or as a quick meatless main course.
Marinated artichokes are a great addition to the many textures of the pasta; the linguine being soft, the zucchini spaghetti maintains a bit of its crunch and the artichokes are right in-between. I ALWAYS rinse my artichokes as I find the flavor of the oil used in most preparations to be slightly off, but I still like the texture of the marinated ones over frozen.
Linguine and Zucchini is also a great side dish for a simple grilled or baked protein. Here I paired it with some Grilled Halibut with Lemon and Parsley that was prepared as skewers. The flavors were great together as both have just a hint of lemon.
Linguine and Zucchini
- 1 pound linguine cooked according to package directions, ½ cup pasta water reserved
- 4 medium zucchini cut into "spaghetti" using the julienne blade on a mandolin*, use only the firm outside of the zucchini, not the seedy middle
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 container marinated artichokes drained and coarsely chopped
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 ½ teaspoons grated lemon zest
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat; add the zucchini and saute until crisp-tender, about 3 - 4 minutes. Add the cooked linguine and artichokes, toss well. Add the cream, cheese, and lemon zest; toss well to combine. Moisten with pasta water if it seems to dry. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Easy to made