A BBQ chicken sandwich made with left-over chicken is a no-brainer, adding a few embellishments makes it a treat.
The making of a BBQ Chicken Sandwich
Rotisserie chickens can be found at just about every supermarket these days. Quick, convenient, and without too many additional additives makes them a good choice for a mostly home-cooked meal. And usually, you will have some leftovers.
A BBQ chicken sandwich made with the left-over chicken is a no-brainer, adding a few embellishments makes it a treat. Better, faster, easier, and cheaper than fast food.
The BBQ sauce you use is up to you, you can use your favorite store-bought brand or make it yourself. When I don't make my own, Lindy's Favorite BBQ Sauce, I like Bullseye Original. But there are many brands to choose from, with so many different flavor profiles. Sweet, honey, spicy.
For a quick dinner, I like to put some French's Fried Onions on top. But when I have time, I caramelize some myself. Caramelizing onions is not difficult, but it is a bit time-consuming because it's necessary to do it slowly, over a low flame, to allow the flavor to develop.
And I just love the smell of slow-cooked onions!
As far as the carcass is concerned...soup anyone?
To serve with? Your choices are practically endless. How about some Homemade Skillet Fries? Or Oven-baked Potato Chips? More in a slaw mode? This recipe for Apple Fennel Slaw is a perfect side. Beans? How about some simple Hawaiian Beans? Endless options!
BBQ Chicken Sandwich
- 4 - 5 cups cooked chicken shredded (or pulled as it is sometimes called)
- ½ cup or more of your favorite BBQ sauce or homemade Lindys Favorite BBQ Sauce)
- 6 kaiser rolls split, or hamburger buns, or onion buns, toasted if desired
- 1 can French's French fried onions or caramelize your own
- Optional Ingredients
- 6 slices cheese cheddar, Swiss, American or blue
- Cooked sliced bacon
- Put the chicken in a saute pan, add the BBQ sauce; heat.
- Toast the buns under the broiler, if desired.
- Top buns with chicken mixture and pile a mound of french fried onions on top.
- Add one, or more of the optional ingredients