Make this Jalapeño Cornbread in a cast-iron skillet for a crispy bottom, or 8 x 8 baking dish. It's the perfect compliment with my 3-Bean chili.
The making of Jalapeno Cornbread
What goes better with 3-Bean Chili than Jalapeño Cornbread?
I love making cornbread in my cast iron skillet. I pop it into the oven while the oven gets to temperature, add a little coating of oil, and pour in the batter, it makes such a nice crisp crusty bottom. If you have a cast-iron skillet that is well seasoned, then I recommend you use it for this recipe. If you don't, you can use a lightly oiled 8 x 8 baking dish, or a pie plate. You could even make these as muffins, but if you do, your baking time will be decreased to about 15 minutes.
So easy, no box needed..
I usually set these up in advance. Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl, mix the wet ingredients in a measuring cup (I do it this way, take a 2 cup measure, put in the buttermilk to 1 cup, then add the oil taking it to 1 ¼ cups, then add the egg. Easy way to measure all in one cup). And right before it's time to cook, I mix it all together and pour it into the pan.
So easy, no box needed.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour you could use gluten free here for a gluten free bread
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 - 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup 2% cultured buttermilk
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil or you could use melted butter, or another oil, I like extra virgin olive oil for its health properties
- 1 large egg
- ¼ - ⅓ cup canned diced jalapeño peppers drained and patted dry ( or you could dice and sauté some yourself, but I find canned to be very convenient)
- Heat oven to 425°F. If using a cast-iron skillet, coat with oil and place in oven while it heats.
- In a bowl, mix together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Set-aside.
- In another bowl or measuring cup, mix together the buttermilk, oil, and egg. Add to dry ingredients and stir until just mixed. Stir in the jalapeño. Pour into skillet or another prepared baking dish (if making muffins, only fill half-way. ) Place in oven and bake for about 20 - 25 minutes, or until a toothpick, when inserted in the center, comes out clean (check on muffins after 15.)
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then serve. Delicious with honey butter!