Welcome to my easy Sweet and Spicy BBQ Rub recipe that is perfect for adding a sweet and spicy flavor to your ribs or chicken! This simple yet flavorful rub combines a balance of sweet and savory spices, creating a mouth-watering taste that will make your taste buds dance with joy. With just a few ingredients and a little bit of effort, you can elevate your BBQ game and impress your friends and family with this delicious rub. So let's get started and make your next BBQ experience a hit!
There's nothing quite like the thrill of firing up the grill and cooking up a delicious meal. Whether you're a seasoned grill master or a newbie just starting out, one thing is for sure - a great BBQ rub can make all the difference in taking your meal from ordinary to extraordinary. A perfect BBQ rub can infuse your meat with the perfect balance of sweet, savory, and spicy flavors, creating a mouth-watering taste that is sure to impress. Getting ready to grill is an exciting experience, and with the right rub, you can take your cooking skills to the next level and make everything taste better. This simple rub will definitely make your next grilling adventure a success!
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Paprika - Use sweet paprika for this recipe. If you want to add a little smokiness, use a bit of smoked paprika. You don't need to use hot paprika; if you do, omit the cayenne pepper or adjust accordingly.
- Sugar - Both brown and granulated sugar. Using both rounds out the flavor.
- Pepper(s) - Fresh ground black and cayenne pepper give heat and depth of flavor.
- Dry Yellow Mustard
- Garlic Powder, and Garlic Salt.
- Celery Salt
See recipe card for quantities.
The instructions are super simple, mix everything together in a bowl.
You can easily swap out some of the spices, or add additional spices to create your own special blended rub.
- More Spice- add additional cayenne pepper to the mix, or use part hot Paprika
- Deluxe - add some dried thyme leaves to the mix
- Smokey - Use a bit of ground Chipotle chilies or smoked paprika
No special equipment is needed to make this easy sweet and spicy BBQ rub.
This rub recipe as written is sufficient for two racks of ribs, or one whole chicken; however, it stores beautifully and so most of the time I make at least a double recipe so I have some ready for that impromptu grilling day.
Store leftovers in an air-tight container in the pantry or cupboard.
A spice rub is a fantastic way to add flavor and complexity to your grilled meats like ribs or chicken. To get the most out of your spice rub, it's important to be generous with it, ensuring that every inch of the meat is coated in a thick layer of flavorful spices. The rub will infuse the meat with its aromatic blend of herbs and spices, giving it a deep, rich flavor that will make your taste buds dance. Be sure to let the rub sit on the meat for at least 30 minutes before cooking or grilling to allow the flavors to fully penetrate the meat. When you're done grilling, you'll have a delicious and tender dish that's bursting with flavor.
You'll want the dry rub to sit on the ribs for at least 30 minutes to tenderize the meat and draw out the moisture, but you can refrigerate the ribs or chicken coated with the dry rub for up to 48 hours.
While it is not necessary, it will still impart more flavor if you do allow it to sit for at least 30 minutes before baking.
These are some of my most popular backyard BBQ recipes.
These are some of my favorite dishes to serve with grilled meats:
Sweet and Spicy BBQ Rub for Ribs or Chicken
- ¼ cup sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper or to taste
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme optional
- Mix all the ingredients together. Use liberally on ribs or chicken. Store leftover rub in an airtight container in a cool dark place.