A fresh salad with Asian flavors makes this Rice Noodle Salad with Mango Dressing a family favorite. Easy to prepare, and gluten-free
The making of Rice Noodle Salad with Mango Dressing
This fresh Rice Noodle Salad with Mango Dressing is modified from a recipe found in The Best of Gourmet 2003 cookbook. This light and refreshing salad is made with cellophane noodles, crunchy cucumber, colorful carrots, and dressed with a fresh mango dressing, it went perfectly with my Thai Chicken Patties.
How to cook the noodles
Cellophane noodles come in varying widths. For this recipe, I used noodles that are about ¼ inch wide, which are also known as pad thai noodles. You can easily find them in Asian markets, but many supermarkets carry them as well. Made from rice, they are also gluten-free.
Cooking methods will depend on the noodle. Instructions for cooking thin noodles are often just a matter of pouring boiling water on them and allowing them to sit for 15 minutes or so. Some package instructions will tell you to boil them for 3 - 5 minutes, so do look at your package instructions and cook the noodles according to them.
My noodles were cooked in boiling water for 4 minutes. But that's my noodle. You cook yours your noodle's way.
The original recipe had the mango cut into thin strips and added to the salad. My mango was having none of that. It was ripe and was not going to go nicely into thin strips. I probably could have cubed it, but then it would not have been so texturally nice with the other thinly sliced ingredients, so I decided to blend it into the dressing. This not only helped what was a rather thin dressing get some creaminess, but the flavor of the mango was subtle throughout the salad. Same taste, but easier. I like that.
I also added some chopped nuts to the salad. Whenever I have noodle salads, especially when they have Asian flavors, I like nuts. So use either toasted peanuts or cashews. Or, don't add them at all. Totally up to you in the nut department. Cause sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't.
Rice Noodle Salad with Mango Dressing served with Thai Style Chicken Patties
Rice Noodle Salad with Mango Dressing
- For the Dressing
- 6 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon toasted sesame seed oil if you don't have, use additional vegetable oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons chopped fresh ginger
- 1 jalapeño pepper with or without seeds (depends on how warm you want your dressing), chopped
- ½ of a fresh mango or the equivalent frozen mango, thawed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- For the Salad
- 8 ounces rice cellophane noodles, prepared according to package directions, drained, then run under cold water until cool
- ½ seedless cucumber cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
- ½ to 1 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 large carrot peeled and grated on the large side of a box grater (or you could use the peeler and just peel thin slices)
- ½ to 1 cup loosely pack cilantro leaves
- ½ cup chopped roasted peanuts or cashews optional
- Prepare the Dressing: In a blender or food processor, combine all the ingredients. Blend until smooth. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed. Set-aside.
- Place the cooled noodles along with the other ingredients into a large bowl. Pour the dressing over. Toss until coated. Serve.