This Strawberry and Baby Greens Salad is so easy and yet, so impressive. The combination of ingredients is perfect together.
The Making of Strawberry and Baby Greens Salad
A perfect summer lunch on the patio
Fresh strawberries + Baby lettuces +Toasted Almonds + Goat cheese + Delish easy dressing = a refreshing summer salad.
This Strawberry and Baby Greens Salad is so easy and yet, so impressive. All of the ingredients work beautifully together; the sweet strawberries, slightly bitter lettuces, creamy goat cheese (or if you don't like goat, try feta or even blue cheese would work, or if you are lactose intolerant, omit altogether) and toasty almonds along with a raspberry vinaigrette enhanced with freshly snipped tarragon and chives, well, it just couldn't be better.
I was lucky enough to pull my lettuces with a little arugula (love the pepperiness of arugula) right from my garden. Lettuce is so easy to grow and I love being able to go out back and pick it fresh, right before it's time to eat them.
Don't have a garden? Any packaged baby lettuce mix will work. Remove the lettuce from the refrigerator just about 15 minutes before you are ready to make this salad. Baby lettuces, baby romaine, and butter lettuces are all better when they are not ice-cold. Almost room temperature is almost right.
Strawberries ... the Dirty Dozen and Tips to keep them fresh longer
Want to know more about strawberries and how to keep them fresh longer? Check out the article I wrote about them here when I used them to make my delicious Fresh Homemade Strawberry Shortcake...which would be the perfect way to finish up that flat of strawberries, don't you think?
Remember when making the salad use the dressing sparingly. While the dressing is quite good, if I do say so myself, you don't want to drown the lovely flavors of the lettuces and strawberries. You want to enhance them, so a little dressing goes a long way (and will also keep the calories in check).
LindySez: This salad is perfect with a dry rose' wine. A perfect summer lunch on the patio.
Strawberry and Baby Greens Salad
- For the Salad
- 1 8 ounce bag baby lettuces
- 1- pint strawberries hulled, washed and sliced
- 4 ounces goat cheese crumbled
- ¼ cup toasted almond slices
- For the Dressing
- ¼ cup raspberry or red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard I find using Dijon mustard helps mellow out the vinegar without the use of sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh tarragon
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Pinch of sugar (optional) if desired
- ½ to 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- Place all the salad ingredients, except the goat cheese, into a large bowl.
- In a small bowl combine the vinegar, mustard, salt, and herbs, whisk together until well blended. Slowly start adding the oil while whisking until the oil is completely mixed in (emulsified).
- Pour a small amount of the dressing over the salad greens, mix well. Add more as necessary until all the greens are lightly dressed. Put onto plates and divide the goat cheese evenly between each plate. Top with coarse ground black pepper and serve.
- Keep unused dressing in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.