This recipe for Spicy Shrimp, Sausage and Polenta Skewer is a delicious healthy way to eat gluten-free.
The story behind Spicy Shrimp, Sausage and Polenta Skewer
My former neighbor, Megan, found herself creating new gluten-free recipes like this Spicy Shrimp, Sausage and Polenta Skewer when she discovered she was gluten-intolerant. She says " I love using my grill to keep the heat out of the house during the summer months. Throwing a bunch of ingredients on skewers and grilling them to achieve the smokey, summer flavor that sets them apart from flavors attained through other methods of cooking. I played around a bit with ingredients, and the result is a hearty, meal-on-a-stick recipe that I can quickly put together, grill and serve"
Even if it's not summer, you could make this tasty, gluten-free recipe on a grill pan on your kitchen stove; or go ahead, be daring. If it's not raining or snowing, be defiant and light up that grill after Memorial day. We do it all the time here in Sonoma County.
Spicy Shrimp, Sausage and Polenta Skewer
- For the Skewer
- 2 spicy sausages Andouille, kielbasa, etc.
- 1 pound raw shrimp shelled and deveined
- 1 tube precooked polenta
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 white onion
- For the Marinade
- ½ cup avocado oil or other high heat oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt to taste
- Cut the sausage, polenta, bell pepper, and onion into roughly 16 pieces (2 for each skewer), leaving the shrimp whole. Assemble the skewers in any order you prefer, alternating the ingredients so you have an even number on each skewer.
- Whisk the marinade ingredients in a small bowl; brush onto the skewers, focusing on the shrimp and polenta pieces. Salt according to taste.
- Grill, over low heat, 8-10 minutes per side until nicely charred in places, and the shrimp is cooked through. Serve hot.