This easy Spanish Style Chicken and Rice recipe "Arroz con Pollo" has it all. Sophisticated enough for adults, while still having kid appeal.
The making of Spanish Style Chicken and Rice “Arroz con Pollo”
Have I mentioned that I like good but easy? Most days. This Spanish Style Chicken and Rice "Arroz con Pollo" really recipe fits the bill!
When I have a dinner party, or some days when I just feel like really getting into it, I will spend hours on a meal. But most days…easy is the operative word. Easy to make, tasty to eat, and easy to clean up after. I think this dish has all that. It’s sophisticated enough for the adults, while still having kid appeal.
If you don’t have leg/thigh combos, well, then use all legs or all thighs. Whatever you have. You could even make this with a bone-in chicken breast, but legs and thighs stay juicer.
How to turn this recipe into a Quick Paella
Want to make this into a quick Paella? Separate the chicken leg and thigh. Add some chopped Spanish Chorizo when sauteing the rice; then during the last 10 minutes of the 20 minutes of cooking time, add some raw cleaned and deveined shrimp and cleaned clams or mussels. Cover and allow to cook with the chicken, then proceed with the addition of the peas and olives.
Spanish Style Chicken and Rice "Arroz con Pollo"
- 4 chicken leg/thigh combos skinned (well, you can leave the skin on if you want to, but I think it just gets flabby, so why add the fat and calories?)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano crushed between your fingers
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic (about 2 cloves)
- 1 cup medium or long-grain white rice
- 2 cups homemade or low-sodium chicken stock use a stock that is just about the chicken, not one that has carrots, celery, and other savory ingredients
- 1 – 2 tablespoons chopped roasted red peppers
- ½ teaspoon saffron threads crumbled
- 1 bay leaf torn in half
- 1 cup frozen green peas not thawed
- ¼ cup sliced cured green olives
- Whether you are skinning the chicken or not, rinse it and pat it dry. Season with the salt, pepper, thyme, and oregano.
- Heat the oil and butter together in a 12 – 14-inch deep skillet; when hot, add the chicken seasoned side down. Brown both sides, turning once; about 10 minutes total. Remove the chicken to a platter.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan and saute for about 5 minutes; or until getting browned. Add the rice and saute 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add the broth, roasted red peppers, saffron, bay leaf and a dash of salt and pepper; stir. Add back the chicken, nestling it into the rice; pour in any accumulated juices from the platter. Cover tightly and simmer for 20 minutes, or until most of the liquid has been absorbed. Take off heat and pour the peas over the top; add the olives; cover and allow to stand 10 minutes more.
- Remove the chicken to a warmed serving plate. Stir the peas and olives into the rice and spoon onto the plate. Garnish with chopped parsley, if desired.