This Raw Zucchini Salad is easy and delish. It's amazing how soft the zucchini strands become when they have been salted. Nuts are optional but highly recommended.
The making of Raw Zucchini Salad or Zoodle Salad or Zucchini Spaghetti Salad
The title sez it all. Ever since I incorporated the method of using my mandolin to make zucchini into spaghetti-like strands, I find that I LOVE this presentation for both hot and cold dishes and use it a lot. For some reason, the method transforms the zucchini into a whole different vegetable, and this is a good thing especially when it's high summer and you are growing it in the garden. And getting a lot of zucchini.
It's amazing how soft the zucchini strands become when they have been salted..
Anyone who has grown it knows that not only is it a prolific vegetable if ignored for one day, the small little zucchini you had two days ago is a giant zucchini today. Because you are only using the outside of the vegetable, not the seedy insides, this method is perfect for those that get too large to do anything with.
This Raw Zucchini Salad is easy and delish.
(If you don't want to use a mandolin, you could try this method with a Spiral Vegetable cutter or attempt it with your awesome knife skills.)
Do you still have too much zucchini? Then try some of these delicious uses for it:
Raw Zucchini Salad
- 3 to 4 zucchini julienned (I use the julienne blade on my mandolin, you can use your awesome knife skills if you don't have one, or thinly slice the zucchini on the diagonal. )
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice or to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh soft herbs such as basil, parsley, oregano, chives, mix and match at will, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fruity extra virgin olive oil or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper
- ⅓ cup toasted chopped walnut pieces I used these, but I think pine nuts would be equally good, optional (but read my note)
- In a sieve, combine the julienned zucchini with 1 teaspoon of the salt, toss, then add the other teaspoon and toss again (you want the zucchini well-salted); set aside in the sink for 10 to 15 minutes or until very limp. Rinse well, pat dry, and place in a bowl.
- In that bowl that you are going to put the zucchini in, combine the lemon juice, herbs, and extra virgin olive oil, whisk to combine.
- Toss the zucchini with the dressing, add the nuts, and some pepper. Taste and adjust seasonings adding lemon juice or olive oil to taste.