This recipe for Grilled Summer Vegetables with Herb Dressing is delicious and easy to prepare.
The story behind Grilled Summer Vegetables with Herb Dressing
This recipe for Grilled Summer Vegetables with Herb Dressing I developed as a part of a Backyard Tuscan Garden Party for my client. It was published in an advertorial that appeared as a part of Gourmet Magazine’s Gourmet GuestList.com series.
Also included on the menu was: Grilled Tuscan Bread Salad, Skewers with Italian Style Chimichurri, and Toasted Polenta Cake, with Glazed Stone Fruit and Olive Oil Vanilla Ice Cream.
Serve with a nice chilled Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio. Either will be lovely with the herbs and veggies, and both are so refreshing on a warm summer day.
Grilled Summer Vegetables with Herb Dressing
- 1 each red yellow and green bell peppers, cored and cut into quarters
- 2 zucchini trimmed and cut lengthwise into ¼ inch slices
- 2 yellow crookneck or yellow zucchini trimmed and cut lengthwise into ¼ inch slices
- 12 mushrooms cleaned with stems removed
- 1 eggplant sliced across into ½ inch rounds
- 1 large red onion sliced into 4 even rounds
- extra virgin olive oil to coat
- For the Dressing:
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic or white wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano*
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme*
- ½ teaspoon minced fresh rosemary*
- ½ teaspoon minced fresh tarragon*
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- *no worries if you don't have ALL the fresh herbs use what you have on hand.
- In a large bowl, toss the peppers, squashes, and mushrooms together with enough oil to coat; add a good pinch of salt and pepper. Brush the eggplant and onions with oil; season lightly with salt and pepper, set the vegetables aside.
- In the work bowl of a food processor, combine all the dressing ingredients, except the olive oil. Turn on the processor; slowly pour the oil into the work tube, run the machine until the ingredients are well incorporated and emulsified. Taste and season with salt and pepper; divide the dressing between two bowls. (You could also do this in a blender).
- Heat the barbecue to medium-high. working in batches, if necessary, place the vegetables on the grill; grill until tender and lightly charred, basting occasionally with the dressing. Remove the cooked vegetables to a serving platter; drizzle with remaining dressing. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve warm or at room temperature.