This Grilled Chicken Sandwich with Sun-Dried Tomato Tapenade is perfect for tailgating, or a wine country picnic.
The making of Grilled Chicken Sandwich with Sun-Dried Tomato Tapenade
This delicious Grilled Chicken sandwich with a Sun-Dried Tomato Tapenade has a lot of flavor going on!
While it may appear to have a lot of ingredients, it's not hard to make and can be served hot or cold, making it perfect for a picnic or tailgating party. As a matter of fact, you can either make it all ahead, wrap it up in the plastic wrap and take it with you, OR you could take all the "parts" with you and make it fresh at your destination.
It's all up to you.
You have complete control.
Either way, all of your neighbor picnickers and tailgaters will be looking at you with envy as they cook their dogs and wurst and burgers.
The chicken does need to marinate, so plan accordingly
Not that there's anything wrong with dogs and wurst and burgers. They are all fine things to eat. But this Grilled Chicken Sandwich is delicious to eat. Anytime, anywhere.
Living in wine country, one of my favorite things to do is go wine tasting.
Living in wine country, I don't get to go wine tasting nearly enough.
But when I do get to, I love to bring a picnic lunch to enjoy at some of the most beautiful winery picnic venues. And there are a lot of them to choose from. Buy a bottle of wine from the tasting room (no you cannot bring your own wine from elsewhere and open it at their picnic area, that's just rude and against the law)...a couple of glasses...under the shade of a tree...relax...chill...ahhhhhhh...enjoy the sun.
And the wine.
And the picnic lunch. Bought or brought.
And if you are bringing, bring this Grilled Chicken Sandwich with Sun-Dried Tomato Tapenade.
It goes with almost any red, and almost any white wine.
So no matter where you are, you are at the right place.
And isn't that where you should be?
Bring along a side salad such as this Green Bean Salad with Cherry Tomatoes that will not only compliment your dish but complete it.
Grilled Chicken Sandwich with Sun-Dried Tomato Tapenade
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 large clove garlic crushed
- ½ generous teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sun-Dried Tomato Tapenade
- 2 ounces sun-dried tomatoes drained
- 2 ounces kalamata olives drained
- 1 tablespoon capers drained
- 1 clove garlic coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves about 5 ounces each
- 6 focaccia or ciabatta rolls halved
- 6 ounces prosciutto sliced thin
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- 1 8 - ounce jar roasted red peppers (or roast your own - about 2 large peppers)
- 6 - 12 large basil leaves
- Prepare the marinade: In a bowl, whisk all ingredients together. Place the chicken in a large zip-top bag, pound lightly with a meat mallet (not the pointy side, the smooth side) until fairly uniform in thickness (this will ensure even cooking); pour in marinade; seal and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight; turning occasionally.
- Prepare the tapenade: Combine all the ingredients in a food processor, process using on/off pulses until fairly smooth but still with some texture. Set aside. *Note, the tapenade can be made the day before, cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before using.
- Prepare the Sandwich: Remove the chicken from the marinade, discarding the marinade. Grill on a gas or charcoal grill for about 5 minutes per side or until juices in the thickest part run clear. When the chicken is almost cooked, make 6 piles with the prosciutto; place on the grill, grill until it just starts to crisp. Place prosciutto and provolone cheese on chicken breasts. Remove from heat. Brush olive oil on each bun half, place on grill, grill until just starting to brown. Remove. On each bun, place one chicken breast with prosciutto and provolone; top with red pepper and basil leaves. Spread tapenade on top bun and place on top. Pass additional tapenade if desired. If serving cold, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before serving.