When tomatoes are in season, what better than a properly layered classic BLT (or BLTA)?
Nothing says summer tomato than a Classic BLT!
During the summer months, when fresh, flavorful tomatoes are abundant, nothing is better than a Classic BLT (that's Bacon, Lettuce, and Tomato for anyone who doesn't know). So simple and yet, so crunchy delicious. This is one time when iceberg lettuce is really a must, IMHO, it adds the perfect crispy crunch!
slather on the mayo, crispy lettuce, bacon, and fresh thick-sliced tomatoes, um yum!
For this classic, I like to use a thick, applewood smoked bacon. Fry the bacon, microwave the bacon (put in between paper towels and microwave for about 1 minute per slice, best if done in batches when doing more than two or three pieces) or use the "oven-bake" method (best for when doing large batches).
And the tomatoes. Heirloom tomatoes are really key. Ripe in the summer tomatoes, not those things they try to sell you during the winter months. Those are not tomatoes and have no flavor or reason to exist. This is one time that eating seasonally really counts. Be sure to put a little salt on your tomato to bring out its full flavor!
The bread? I like classic white bread or whole wheat bread. Toasted for sure. If you don't toast it, it will fall apart, and that's not good at all.
Not so classic, but one of my favorite additions is sliced avocado preferably a Haas avocado. YUMMERS!
Proper Layering is Critical
How you layer the ingredients is very important. Improper layers result in what I call, sandwich EXPLOSION! That's when all the middle jumps out when you take a bite, leaving you with just the bread in your hands.
- Toasted bread must have mayo on the inside of both sides of the sandwich.
- On that, put your tomato, be sure to add a bit of salt, and you can use some pepper if you choose. This allows the tomato juices to soak into the bread. If you put it on top of the lettuce, it would just squirt out when you take a bite.
- Now comes your crispy bacon.
- And finally, your layer of crunchy lettuce.
- If adding the avocado, put it on the bread after the lettuce and smoosh it a bit into the bread.
Cut the BLT in half and serve.
- 2 slices thick sliced applewood smoked bacon
- 2 slices of good quality thick sliced white or whole wheat bread
- Iceberg lettuce leaves washed and well dried
- Thick slices of fresh flavorful heirloom summer tomato seasoned with a pinch of salt
- Mayonnaise I use low fat
- Sliced avocado (optional but good)
- Fry the thick applewood bacon, toast the bread, slather on the mayo on both sides, some iceberg lettuce (this is a fine use for iceberg lettuce, you really need that crunch). Add the bacon and then top with thickly sliced tomatoes...Delish...add some avocado if you like, but it's not necessary