Chicken Chile Verde con Rajas is an easy tasty dish with a Mexican flair. Low in calories and rich with heart-healthy fats and dietary fiber.
The Story Behind Chicken Chile Verde con Rojas
I saw this recipe for Chicken Chile Verde con Rajas (Green Chicken Chili with Sautéed Peppers) being made by Chef Eric Lee, who was then a contender for the next Iron Chef, at a cooking demonstration that is sponsored by one of our local radio stations.
I'm not really sure how a live cooking show plays out on the radio, but we to go to G & G Market's demo kitchen and watch it live was a lot of fun ... and good eats.
Yes, once they are done making it, they serve it up for our dining pleasure. The hard part is sitting there, smelling all the wonderful smells and waiting; and of course, thinking how I could improve it for myself.
Chef Lee, was, at the time, a finalist for the Next Iron Chef, and he shared this recipe with us
Chef Lee, while he didn't win the Iron Chef Competition, supplied us with a delicious recipe for Chicken Chile Verde con Rajas, or Green Chicken Chile with strips of pasilla chilies and onions.
Chef Lee's recipe had added mushrooms and 3 ounces of cream.
While con rajas literal translation is pasilla peppers and onions sautéed together then simmered in cream, I forgot the cream so mine is not "authentic".
Complete step by step instructions here on my video
Chicken Chile Verde con Rajas served with Cara's Mexican Style Broken Rice
Chicken Chile Verde con Rajas
- For the Chicken Chile Verde
- 12 to matillos peeled and washed
- 1 white onion cut into wedges
- 2 – 3 Serrano chilies seeded and chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves chopped
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thigh meat, cut into 1” cubes
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 15 ounce can hominy, drained
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed or vegetable oil
- 1 bunch cilantro chopped
- For the Rajas
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed or vegetable oil
- 3 pasilla chilies halved, stemmed, seeded and sliced
- 1 white onion halved and sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves sliced
- Pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper
- Lime Wedges
- Corn or flour tortillas
- Place the tomatillos and onion wedges on a preheated grill or stovetop grill and char on all sides. Cool slightly, then place in a food processor along with the Serrano chilies and garlic; pulse until smooth. Season the chicken meat with salt and pepper; heat a large heavy pot over medium-high heat; add the oil and when hot, add the chicken (in batches if necessary) and lightly brown the meat. Add the tomatillo sauce; stir well, reduce heat to low; cover and simmer until the chicken is tender about 30 – 45 minutes. Add the hominy, simmer 5 minutes, add the cilantro and simmer 5 minutes more. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Meanwhile; heat a sauté pan or cast-iron skillet over high heat; when hot add the oil, chilies, and onions; sauté until slightly charred and very soft; add the garlic and sauté a few minutes more. Season with salt and pepper.
- To serve: Spoon the Chicken Chile Verde into a bowl; top with the rajas. Serve with lime wedges and tortillas.